Friday, April 3, 2015

A Personal Note to Hanuman


 Dear Hanuman,

I want to tell you a little bit about myself. I am a 60-year-old white lady. I first saw your name on a menu at a health food store in the middle of America in 1972. The menu item was called “Hanuman’s sandwich.” At the time I inferred from this that you had invented or especially liked sandwiches on whole wheat bread with avocados and beansprouts.

Then a few years later I saw a picture of you in an Indian gift shop. You were tearing your heart open with your own hands. It reminded me of a Catholic store Jesus (I also noticed at the time that you were a monkey).

I learned a more and more about you in bits and pieces over the years. I once heard that you stole Sita’s lipstick and put it on yourself so that Rama might love you more. I don’t know if that story is true. I liked the songs I heard about you. They were all bouncy and fun. At some point I began to delight in the sound of your name.

Then I met a teacher who told me that the real love story in the Ramayana was about you. I took notice.

At some point over the years, I realized you had been walking along side me in life. You have given me strength. I know you’ve helped me complete my studies and remember to do my practices. I call on your valor when I need it. Your Divine Mace has rescued me many times.

So here we are, years since I first heard your name. Isn’t it something? Now I can pull open my own heart. 

And there you are.

2 comments:

  1. Let us all have an open heart! Thank you for this delightful read! The imagery was beautiful and it reminds me that I call upon Hanuman to walk beside me more and more as time goes by. Jai Hanuman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jai Hanuman! Thank you for sharing the informative blog. It is indeed wonderful to read and useful. Read hanuman chalisa.

    ReplyDelete